Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 127 - Finally

This is a week of finallys.  I finally broke -40 lbs. (that actually, that happened yesterday (Fri. April 22)) and today I'm down another pound so it's officially -41 lbs.   Yes, I'm super pleased and it's 'finally' hitting home that I am actually DOING this.  I am actually FINALLY losing weight and mostly keeping it off (though we all know the 'keeping it off' part doesn't come until you've hit your goal and managed to stay there in maintenence).  AND, I finally started exercising.  :)   In a moment I will explain a little about my diseased mind and my plan for working out.  This week's loss, 5 lbs.  BUT REMEMBER, I'd gained 2 lbs. last week so I'm really only about 2+ lbs. this week.


Okay.  Working out.  Yuck.  I decided, after a ridiculous quiz I took, 4 months into my efforts that basically told me (at the end of the quiz) that I should pretty much be dead or dying.  Mostly I should be dead.  This of course ROYALLY pissed me off.  And I suppose that anger spurred me to my next move.

I signed up for Curves for a 3 month membership.  Kids and I are heading out in mid-July to go visit family and this will take me right to the departure point.  However, I am so mental, I can only do this one way....all or nothing.  SO.  I am working out every single day.  My goal is to work out every single day for 10 weeks, just because.  What I've told myself is that I'm doing this to prove to everyone who's been riding my ass to exercise that exercise is NOT going to make a big difference.  I know of course full well that is bullshit, but it's how I have to play this game to make it work.  Maybe at the end of 10 weeks, I will actually LOVE it (probably not) or at least see why it is a necessary evil.

Part of my problem has been that I've felt guilty about hating to exercise and have really beat myself up internally about it.  Knowing I should, pretending like I wanted to, using my wretched knees as an excuse.  I finally gave myself permission to announce the truth out loud to anyone who would listen.  I hate exercise.  I do not enjoy it.  I do not like moving my body.  I like being still.  I like sleep.  I like lounging on the couch and reading or watching tv or being silly with my husband and kids, but I HATE exercise.

The thing about going to Curves, as my health coach pointed out, is the WORKOUT is actually going.  I detest the whole operation.  Changing into 'workout' clothes, finding a clean (hopefully), matching (more hopefully) pair of socks.  Grunting through the bending over and having to strain to breathe to put on said shoes.  Making sure the kids are squared away and then driving there and back.  Once I'm there, my whole battle is over.  The actual workout is a breeze.  I am pleased to say that I actually, kind of, sort of, enjoy it now.  I won't go so far as to say I look forward to it, but I am enjoying it.

Yes, I went today (Sat. 4.23) and it was my 8th workout in as many days.   Wish me luck.

6 comments:

  1. I kind of hate getting off the couch too. But I have discoved some workouts that I LOVE!!! I LOVE Zumba because I like to dance,,, however I had to give that up because of my plantar faciitis. I LOVE Crossfit. I don't actually love it while I am doing it and I took me a long time but now I am not getting the worst time of the day and I feel STRONG. It also helps that usually the longest workout is only 20 min. I have also discovered that i HATE the stationary bike,,, really hate it,, and the stair machine but I need them for cardio to get the weight off. So listening to a book on tape makes it better. I guess what I am saying is it will get better and you may even find something you enjoy that makes you feel strong. Keep going ,, you're doing GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tara! I figure I will eventually but for now, I'm just enjoying being honest about hating it but still doing it anyway; because I DO know it will make a difference!!! I like the challenge of going every day but it might kill me, I am exhausted! I'm hoping my body will adjust thought in the next week and it'll all be a bit easier. But you can't go from no exercise for years and years and years and then full-bore right out of the gate without SOME pushback! You keep it up too! I love the pic of you from the side lifting, it's awesome! Can't wait to show ourselves off this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chan - You go girl, yes getting there is 3/4 of the battle. Keep up the good work and you will be more than happy with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kari! It is SUCH a struggle, every frickin' day, but I just try to keep my head down, eyes forward and keep moving. Don't know where I'll end up but I guess it'll be somewhere different than where I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know when your beloved angel child faces something in life that is REALLY hard and even though you are on the outside freaking out feeling helpless to make it easier... then you look at their sweet face - and they are so calm and brave you just want to cry because this precious being you love so very much is making your heart BURST with pride because they are so brave and determined ...well baby that's how I am feeling about you right now...bursting with pride

    ReplyDelete